So the bars have been thrown around, the ‘Cross’ has been ‘fitted’ and the chalk has settle on what turned out to be an incredible weekend at Wild West in beautiful Malvern. The only thing rivalling the relentless work rate of our SCCF pack was the ferocious support that everyone had for their mates in the crucible (competition floor).
It's at events like these that our box gets to see the true extent of the relationships forged in and outside classes and the willingness to suffer for our friends and teammates. There have been too many fantastic performances that one simply cannot wish to name them all, but those who were there saw the environment the bonding, the support and the success that this weekend brought! It is safe to say all competitors, spectators and judges did SCCF so proud! Plus we were among the best represented box out of all the boxes that came to the event… so we've got something to work on for next year ;)
SCCF Donuts & Deadlifts
SCCF The Barbarians
SCCF Forging Elite Fatness
SCCF The Amrappers
Special mentions and performances:
All of our teams will take home some special moments they experienced this weekend, but here we shall share some:
- Ash, Rich & Anj all took this opportunity to expand their horizons over the weekend by doing their first ever external CrossFit competition. For Anj it was her first ever competitive sports competition in general. All three had a great attitude, commitment and smashed through some very tough workouts. Team captain Yolande offering some fiery displays of performance and encouragement along with some very well earned gurns!
- Sian and her team placed very high overall and had a number of well versed athletes in its arsenal. Craig & Grant made light work of all deadlifts, dumbbell lunges and killed the barbell in the final workout. Kerry and Sian didn't disappoint with Sian giving everything on many workouts, mainly in the sled drag workout which she will be feeling for many days to come (show her a sandbag and a sled and she might just kick you). Kerry gave the team her all and brought her calm and collected style which allowed her team to put up some big scores.
- Gary, Tess, Martin and Katie all knew they were there to do work and that they did. Amazing feats of strength, endurance and encouragement oozed from this team. Tess brought out the big guns on the dumbbell lunge, whilst Katie got stuck in like a pro and gave her all in every workout she could. M’burg made light work of all calf powered movements and helped his team get some fantastic results. Gary, what more can be said about him except he provided banter, support, advice and performance in equal measure to create a well rounded team.
- Mike led his team to finish in the top quarter of teams overall (out of 124 teams total). Not surprisingly Charlee and Sam Leechman combined forces with Mike to produce a force not to be reckoned with, which produced result after result leaving other boxes in their dust. This was also interweaved with having some laughs and drinks with the whole gang between dominating workouts. Kudos also goes to them for having matching team shirts that also related to their team name (Donuts & Deadlifts. See photos to illustrate my point)
- Dre, Lianne, Jon (from CF Solihull) and Gaz G put their heart and soul into every workout and had many laughs during the way. From discovering Vitas - 7th Element (pop it into the Youtube machine and go give it a listen) to warming up by doing Zumba for the synchro burpees this team had a blast!
Blood, sweat and tears were all seen this weekend as well as a cocktail of mixed emotions which speaks to the power of teamwork and not wanting to let the team down. One thing to remember, we win as a team, we lose as a team, but we always leave still as a team. I think I speak for all teams when I say all teams wouldn't have traded anyone of their teammates this weekend for anyone else!
Now lets see what members said about their own experiences:
“Being my first one, I didn't know what to expect, it was tough, tough, tough, but it was amazing to be there with the amazing SCCF crew”
“I think it was amazing seeing people achieve things they thought they wouldn't or couldn't. Like Rich getting not just his first handstand push up but another 2 after that! Ash thinking he couldn't do overhead 32kg kettlebell swings and then smashing them out! Not to mention all the strength and determination of everyone dragging that damn sled and stupid sandbag across that field! Everyone gave it everything! Not to mention the fantastic support from the SCCF crew. I love our box, it's just the best”
“Loved the team spirit, inclusiveness, camaraderie and friendly atmosphere. It was tough though, maybe I'm surprised I've not been put off the whole thing!”
“I loved it! I think going into your first competition you don't really know what to expect, so the nerves are a weird feeling. Then seeing the WODs I was like holy crap, I'm going to suck at this! But I found it a great experience, the team were amazing, and it's a nice buzz to have the box cheering you on. I've surprised myself and have also given myself insight for what I need to develop”
“Great comp and weekend where athletes of all fitness, shapes and sizes could take part! PS.....Burpees were rough! The sandbag was rough! Thank you everyone for cheering me on to get through them!”
“Yeah I got to admit, there ain't another great bunch like us!”
“Just so proud of you all!!!!”
Until the next one then team! Train hard, play hard!